The Tiny House was delivered to my Mom’s house this afternoon. Woo Hoo!!
It still has a little work left before she can move in but I think it’s all well within the abilities of a highly motivated mother.
Before delivery my brother was able to finish up most of the interior trim. Now the only thing left is the floor and kitchen cabinet. My mom’s neighbor, whom built cabinets in a prior life, will be helping her with the kitchen. He is a super nice guy who always seems to be willing to lend a helping hand. I think my mom would be lost without their help (and not just on the house)
I’ll post some pictures when I get them.
I put another 6 days into the tiny house, this time with help from my brother and dad. Unfortunately that wasn’t quite enough to call it a wrap.
Last week my brother relocated the trailer from Lakeland to DeLand where I was able to stay with my dad while I worked. The house was a little too big to fit under all the trees on his property but fortunately he has a nice neighbor who let us park in her yard for the time being.
On the first day we worked on finishing the rough electrical and plumbing…
…including the drain lines that will eventually be connected to the main homes sewer lines.
We then moved on to the interior siding and trim. This is detail work and thus requires a lot of time. I also didn’t account for the trim in my mental ‘budget’.I thought I had essentially already laid out all the money I was going to have to to finish this job, image my disappointment when I had to put out another $1000.
In hind site, given the circumstances of this build, I could have and should have been more conservative with many of my selections. I could have easily shaved off a few grand if I had opted to build the economy model.
When I left a small amount of trim and ceiling still needed to be completed, as well as all the flooring. My brother is going to travel back out to my dad’s next week to finish it up before moving it back to my mom’s for staining.
(lc:16, sc:132, lt:109.5, st:414)
The tiny house made its maiden voyage to Florida on Friday. The last week and a half has been a little hectic trying to get it to a point where it could handle the journey. But after a lot of work we did it. Thanks again to everyone who offered their assistance.
In the days leading up to the houses departure we primarily worked on the siding and the roof. The pitch transition in the roof required a lot of thought and discussion on how best to complete it, which I expected. I feel good though about our final solution. I will definitely be (slightly) changing the design of the roof. I remember growing up working with my dad and he would be cursing the architects of the buildings he was working on because of some of the designs that they came up with. Well, now that’s me, but I’m also the architect, so who do I get to curse? My lessons learned will definitely make for better designs going forward.
I escorted my brother for about 45 minutes of the ride out of town to make sure that there were no issues at top speed (~60 mph). It was really fun to watch the expression on people’s faces as we drove by. Our path out of town also happened to pass by my work so I gave them a quick call to let them know I would be driving by. A few of my coworkers came out to wave and cheer, it was pretty cool :) Here’s a video one of them shot:
The house is headed down to my mom’s land where my step dad will caulk and paint the exterior. After that is completed and I can get some time off (in a couple of months) my brother will relocate it to my father’s property (about 2 hours away) where I will travel down to complete it. I don’t think that should take much more than a week or two with help.
In the mean time I am going to update the plan, parts/cost list, and build instructions. That will probably take a little while.
I’m having some computer issues at the moment but I will post a bunch of pictures as soon as I have that resolved.
(lc:34, sc:54, lt:93.5, st:282)